Obesity has become a global health crisis as people eat more, exercise less and get unhealthier. In the U.S. alone about one-third of people are obese. That’s a lot of excess fat. There are many ideas cited as to why we’re getting so big; the reasons range from lack of sleep, to vitamin deficiencies and lifestyle choices, all the way to not being breastfed when we were babies.
Whatever the cause, the key now is to get people moving and eating right. The question remains as to what is the most effective way. Need some ideas on how to win the battle of the bulge? Here are six effective ways to trim down:
2. Replace Your Snacks with Soups: Swapping out two typical daily snacks for two servings of soup may result in up to a 50 percent greater weight loss among overweight dieters–even if the soup and the snacks have the same exact number of calories. Your best bet is to go with soups rich in vegetables and low in sodium.
3. Drink Lots of Water: Drop more pounds faster by drinking two cups of water before each meal. You’ve probably heard that drinking water before you eat can help you lose weight, the theory behind this recommendation is that the water helps fill you up so that you end up eating less at mealtime, which leads to fewer calories consumed in the day.
4. Drink Green Tea: Chemicals in green tea, along with caffeine, are thought to burn fat and reduce weight. They also improve body measurement parameters like body mass index, waist circumference and waist-to-hip ratio. Try replacing your morning cup of coffee with green tea and have another cup later in the day for an afternoon pick-me-up.
5. Make Sure You Drink Your Milk: People trying to lose weight might have greater success if they have higher intakes of calcium from dairy products (e.g. milk, cheese, yogurt) and higher levels of vitamin D in their blood. Make sure you’re drinking low-fat or skim milk and try Greek yogurt since it has more protein than regular. Also, avoid flavored yogurts since they are just loaded with sugar.
6. When You Get the Weight Off, Keep it Off: Exercise is your best bet to make sure that the pounds you shed stay off. Set a limit for yourself. If you find yourself gaining more then 5 lbs., it’s time to get back on track. If you don’t like scales, simply use your clothes. If they are feeling tight, it’s time to get moving.
Finally, for more weight loss tips read this article about the effective Mediterranean Diet.