Birthing Secret Revealed: 6 Dates a Day Keeps The Interventions Away
When I was 34 weeks preggo, my doula Tracie told me eating dates the last 4 weeks would reduce my time in labor. I stopped everything and ordered 4 pounds of them.
I’d do anything to give myself a greater chance of a shorter and smoother delivery.
Then the rational Tammy kicked in and asked — “is this a bunch of hippie heebie jeebie?”
I did some research on Auntie Google and she was all “nope, there is actually a real study that supports this.”
I’ll spare you reading the most exciting medical report ever written and give you the cliff notes.
TL;DR Date + Delivery Report
Eating 6 dates daily during the last four weeks of pregnancy “significantly reduced the need for induction and augmentation of labor, and produced a more favorable, but non-significant, delivery outcome”.
Some significant findings:
- Cervical dilation was significantly greater in the date-eating mommas upon arrival at the hospital
- 83% of mothers who consumed dates had their membranes intact upon admission at the hospital
- 96% of the women who ate dates went into labor on their own
- Use of Pitocin (synthetic Oxytocin) was significantly lower in women who consumed dates (28%), compared with the non-date fruit mothers (47%)
- The latent phase of the first stage of labor was almost 7 hours shorter in the date-eating mothers compared with the non-date fruit eaters (510 min vs 906 min)
Not bad eh?
If you are preggo, sign up now to get tips on how to experience a more peaceful birth here.