Natalie Portman is giving up the vegan lifestyle and going back to being a vegetarian. In an interview on with The Bert Show Portman says, “I actually went back to being vegetarian when I became pregnant. Just because I felt like I wanted that stuff, and I was listening to my body to have eggs and dairy and that sort of thing.” The Oscar-winning star of Black Swan just released a new movie Your Highness.
By definition, vegans consume only plant-based foods and receive their nutrients from fruit, vegetables, legumes and nuts. While “vegetarian” has become a somewhat loose term, vegan diets are free of anything derived from animals, including dairy products, eggs and honey. Containing zero cholesterol (which is linked to heart disease), low in fat and rich in complex carbohydrates the vegan diet has been helpful for many in controlling weight and blood sugar levels. Vegan cooking relies heavily on the use of fresh fruits and vegetables, legumes, and whole grains, and are inherently fiber-rich and full of vitamins, minerals, health-enhancing phytochemicals, and antioxidants.
Despite the relatively small percentage of the US population that is vegan (approximately 0.5%, or 1 million people, according to 2008 poll by Vegetarian Times), adopting a vegan diet is no longer a fringe practice. Environmentally beneficial, health-wise, and increasingly accessible (many restaurants that used to be stymied by both meat and dairy-free palates, are now catering to vegan palates), vegan diets also boast celebrity clout.
Famous vegans include:
1. Moby: Musician has been a vegan for more than 20 years now.
2. Alicia Silverstone: The Clueless star, is the author of Vegan Cookbook “The Kind Diet.” Silverstone remained Vegan during the pregnancy of her first child.
3. Woody Harrelson Star of “Cheers” and countless other Hollywood blockbusters, not only is Harrelson vegan, but tends to eat as many raw, unprocessed foods as he can.
4. Ellen DeGeneres: Popular talk show host actually dedicates a portion of her webpage on why you should be vegan
5. Fiona Apple: Popular musician has been vegan for years