It’s no surprise that mood influences dietary choices and vice versa. A recent study provided more evidence linking the relationship between obesity and depression, with each problem fueling the other.
The good news is that any cycle can be broken. It may not be easy, but with persistence you can get back to feeling better in both body and mind. So, where to start? The best method is probably going to be different for each person. Here are some ideas, so try the one that makes the most sense to you.
5 Tips to Lift Your Emotions and Whittle Your Waist
- Intuitive Eating: Following the mindful eating approach to help you become more aware of what you’re eating and how you’re feeling while you’re eating.
- Exercise: Endorphins are those “feel good” chemicals produced by the brain when you exercise. This gives you that double dose effect of helping to burn calories and boosting your mood.
- Start small and set realistic goals: Your first goal might just be to walk into the gym and then turn around and walk out. Then the second goal might be to go into the locker room. The third goal could be to walk on the treadmill for 10 minutes. Remember Aesop’s story of the Tortoise and the Hare… the Tortoise wins!
- Yoga & Meditation: No need for crazy Cirque de Soleil-type yoga, just find a class that fits your schedule and personality or try a DVD in the comfort of your home. Yoga and meditation have both been shown to be powerful depression busters.
- Therapy: Talking to a professional can help you discover your unique way of dealing with depression and feeling better.