Weight loss is never far from most people’s minds. With recent success of celebrities like Raven-Symone and Jonah Hill, everyone wants to know: how did they do it? Raven-Symone is back on the air with her new series “State of Georgia” and looking slim as ever after dropping 35 lbs. As reported by TV Guide, Raven-Symone may not get to show off her new sexy figure in her new role, ”Ironically, my character is supposed to be the size that I was before,” she says. “So I have to wear thicker body pads on the show.” You may remember her from The Cosby Show or That’s So Raven. Her secret, well, seems like it’s still a secret. She claims it was simple stress-reduction. Which, may be true. Stress causes us to crave salt, sugar and fat. Why? Sugar leads to the release of dopamine in the brain; a chemical that produces euphoric feelings, and is also released after taking addictive drugs such as nicotine or heroin. Our taste buds can also be wired to crave fat, sweet and salt over time. So the more sugar, fat and salt we eat, the more we want it.
While the star’s weight loss regime is kept under wraps, here are a few tricks that may help you shed some pounds; though it won’t guarantee you getting a new sitcom!
First, don’t bother with cleanses. We’re always hungry for that quick detox fix or next superfood like the Acai berry. Fifty-four new food and beverage products debuted in 2008 with the word “detox” in their descriptions. Many of these pills, fasting kits, and juice regimens will promote short-term weight loss because you are consuming far fewer calories, but the pounds usually return afterwards. Your body is pretty good at flushing out the toxins on its own, provided you avoid nicotine, caffeine, sugar and alcohol…and take in plenty of fiber and fluid to help keep things moving on their merry way.
2. Replace Your Snacks with Soups: Swapping out two typical daily snacks for two servings of soup may result in up to a 50 percent greater weight loss among overweight dieters–even if the soup and the snacks have the same exact number of calories. Your best bet is to go with soups rich in vegetables and low in sodium.
3. Drink Lots of Water: Drop more pounds faster by drinking two cups of water before each meal. You’ve probably heard that drinking water before you eat can help you lose weight, the theory behind this recommendation is that the water helps fill you up so that you end up eating less at mealtime, which leads to fewer calories consumed in the day.
4. Drink Green Tea: Chemicals in green tea, along with caffeine, are thought to burn fat and reduce weight. They also improve body measurement parameters like body mass index, waist circumference and waist-to-hip ratio. Try replacing your morning cup of coffee with green tea and have another cup later in the day for an afternoon pick-me-up.
5. Make Sure You Drink Your Milk: People trying to lose weight might have greater success if they have higher intakes of calcium from dairy products (e.g. milk, cheese, yogurt) and higher levels of vitamin D in their blood. Make sure you’re drinking low-fat or skim milk and try Greek yogurt since it has more protein than regular. Also, avoid flavored yogurts since they are just loaded with sugar.
6. When You Get the Weight Off, Keep it Off: Exercise is your best bet to make sure that the pounds you shed stay off. Set a limit for yourself. If you find yourself gaining more then 5 lbs., it’s time to get back on track. If you don’t like scales, simply use your clothes. If they are feeling tight, it’s time to get moving.
Finally, for more weight loss tips read this article on how to lose belly fat fast.