Rise and shine! Time to put your best face forward and tackle the day head-on. Make the most of your morning routine with these 5 tips to set your self up for success in 10 minutes flat.
1. Let’s get steamy (2 minutes). Turn on the shower and make that water hot, hot, hot. Close the door to the bathroom and let it fill up with steam for a few minutes before hopping in. Steam opens up your pores, making them easier to clean and absorb lots of moisture, leaving you squeaky clean and silky smooth. Want to start your day with an easy wrinkle reducer? This packs a one-two punch, opening your pores and reducing your fine lines all at the same time. Who knew that being beautiful could feel so good?
2. Smooth Operating (2 minutes). Use a gentle exfoliating scrub over your face and body. You’re not scraping barnacles off a ship’s hull, so don’t get too scrub-happy. You don’t want to irritate or damage your skin, the goal is to lightly remove dead skin, dirt, and oil. Make sure you thoroughly rinse, then squeeze a dime-sized amount of body wash into your hand and work into a lather. Cover your body with these soothing suds and rinse again. Now you’re clean as a whistle and fresh as a daisy!
3. Happy Hair (2 minutes). Most of us were raised on the idea of lather, rinse, repeat — every day. The fact is, washing your hair every day is probably causing more harm than good. Your scalp secretes oil for a reason–it moisturizes your scalp and protects your hair strands. To ween yourself off of your shampoo addiction, start by washing it every other day. After about of week of getting used to that, start washing it every 3 days. Eventually, you should only be shampooing your scalp once a week. Don’t worry about having flat, greasy hair–like the rest of your body, your scalp is incredibly adaptive, and it will adjust to fewer washings in no time.
Just because you aren’t shampooing, that doesn’t mean you can’t keep your hair clean and smelling like roses. In between shampoos, rinse with your normal conditioner, gently massaging your scalp with your fingers to loosen your scalp’s natural oils. Run your fingers through your hair to make sure you didn’t leave behind any residue, and get ready to enjoy happy, healthy hair.
4. Shelter your strands (2 minutes). Squeeze as much excess water out of your hair as possible. Wrap a microfiber towel around your head and press your hair into it to drain the rest (you can find these inexpensively at discount retailers or online stores like Amazon.com, and they work great for getting rid of lots of water fast.) Spritz a little detangler on the bottom half and gently brush, working your way from the tips up to the roots. Brushing from the top of your head to the bottom can make your hair brush catch on snags and hurt you, not to mention ripping out strands. Keep your hair smooth and strong with a leave-in conditioner –spritz a couple of times and work through with your fingers.
5. Drench your Dermis (2 minutes). Pick your perfect moisturizer and don’t leave home without it! You will want to grab about a quarter-sized amount for your face, gently rubbing it into your face and neck. This protects your skin and prevents fine lines from forming due to dryness. Don’t neglect the rest of your body! Make sure that you moisturize your skin from your nose to your toes, letting it absorb for a few minutes before you get dressed. Your skin will thank you, and glow like you’ve never seen it.
Congratulations, you’re ready to conquer the day! Now, if only you could figure out what to wear…